Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Quick Post

Hello!! Since I last posted, we've had our first snow (!!! so exciting for someone from below the Mason-Dixon line), I've broken out my massive, long, black down coat, we overcame a transportation crisis (of our own making and confusion) on the way back from Kyiv, I accidentally went to a Ukrainian Orthodox wedding (and two hour church service, which was the original intention - and found out why there are no pews - they stand up) (as for the wedding, just watch My Big Fat Greek Wedding, the service was similar to that one), taught two more classes, etc. etc. We're in Kyiv on a field trip about how to manage transportation (too little too late, but I realize it's still useful to know), and I've gotten online for a few minutes to print out as many articles about the election as is possible, and catch up on things in general. I don't think I'll be able to be online this weekend, because we'll be headed to Prolisok on Sunday with luggage for an 11 day trip, including several days in our future home town (complete with (probably) overnight train trips there and back) and requisite preparation and debriefing discussions about that trip. So, I'll be v. busy, but I'll keep my little journal and hopefully remember everything to tell you all later.

Also this Saturday I got four packages! in Kyiv, which was a surprise, two more forwarded that Luke didn't want to send home, and two from my parents, which was v. nice. I will ostensibly get another address soon, but am not sure when it would be smart to start using it (probably should stick with my Kyiv one for another month or so). So I feel very loved, and I got more stationery (asking for "pretty letter paper" in the store in Rokytne didn't really get results), so I'll keep the letters (slowly) coming. Hope everything is going well, sorry I may not get back online til after Thanksgiving (??), which we will celebrate Ukrainian style in Rokytne - keep in touch!

3 Comments:

At November 14, 2006 4:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hello! I got another letter from you today (YAY) and finally wrote you back - I hope it gets there before your address changes.

I am very confused right now - this thing is saying I am logged in as Mary, but I don't remember creating an account, and plus I am at work (and by work I mean sitting around a sad, empty,campaign office waiting around for someone to show up with some junk that we need so we can write some thank-yous to people), so I don't see how Blogger knows who I am, but whatever.

Ok I had something else I was going to say but I got distractred by a coworker who wanted to know what the heck I was doing over here, so now I forget what it was, so I guess it will just have to wait.

Sigh.

Miss you.

 
At November 23, 2006 11:58 PM, Blogger Gayle Smith said...

hey!

so i just found out that we are going to be in the same country! i leave for Ukraine in late march! so what is it like? im in the middle of trying to get my passport stuff and visa stuff, but its hard bc im in New Zealand right now until the end of the feb. please let me know what its like? how is training going? which langauge are you learning. sorry for all the questions!!! if you get a chance my email is gayle06@gmail.com. i would love to hear from you!

gayle

 
At November 25, 2006 4:30 AM, Blogger Virginia Pasley said...

Mev!! Glad you got my letters, hurrah. Yeah, I'm glad that the computer magically recognize you, but I'm not sure how . . . it kind of magically recognizes me too, despite being in the PC office and having not signed in. Hurrah.

Gayle!!! I was just wondering if you had ever figured out the PC stuff!!! That's so exciting!!! e-mail me and tell me more, but as it is, I'm rushing now to put my next novel (post) up on the blog - I'm learning Ukrainian and everything is going well. Wow, that is so exciting. Have fun in New Zealand!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home